May 18, 2021
*Updated! Fall 2021: Full-Time In-Person School at Bertschi
Our Plans for the 2021-22 School Year
Below are some key elements of our initial planning for Fall 2021. We are hopeful that by the fall there will be more “normalcy.” But, as we have learned over the past year, we must all remain flexible. Our initial plans rely on the most current local guidance around health and safety for schools, which we will monitor throughout the coming months.
The first day of school will be Wednesday, September 1, 2021.
- If you have an incoming Pre-k or Kindergarten student, those grades begin the year gradually with open house and/or half days
School Programming 2021-22
Here is what we currently know about the 2021-22 school year:
- School will be offered five days a week in person.
- Students will be assigned to full-sized classes with their teacher, without additional cohorting.
- We will not offer a year-round, full distance learning program. Distance learning will be in effect if a COVID quarantine is indicated. If the Governor’s travel quarantine advisory is still in place, we will offer materials and modified distance learning for those whose travel qualifies only following regularly scheduled school breaks. We will not offer distance learning for families who choose to travel outside regular school breaks.
- Extended day will be offered daily until 6:00 PM for Pre-K to 5th grade following the safety guidelines present at that time. Full-time, part-time, and drop-in options will be available.
- We will be present and prepared to meet our students where they are academically, socially, and emotionally.
Throughout the summer, we will continue to monitor CDC and local public health recommendations specifically for schools, including guidance on:
- Indoor vs. outdoor masking
- Physical distancing
- Mixed grade levels activities like buddies and after-school clubs
- Parents and caregivers on campus or in classrooms
- Community gatherings and events, both indoor and outdoor
- Vaccination availability for children under 12
- Federal and state review of required vaccination
Whatever the fall holds, Bertschi School will continue its commitment to meeting students and families where they are socially, emotionally, and academically. After a summer of renewal and rest for our faculty, we will return in the fall with renewed energy and enthusiasm for a year that will most certainly be less disruptive and unpredictable as the one we are currently experiencing. As our students become comfortable once again with the rhythm of full-time school, we will continue to meet each individual child in their “just right” learning place. Our faculty will work in partnership with families to ensure that every student is making appropriate academic progress. And, we will reconnect with the rituals and routines that are grounded in place and community.