August 19, 2021
Health & Safety Protocols at Bertschi
We are focused on making the 21-22 school year a joyful return to some of the routines and rituals we have missed, while maintaining the health and safety protocols that are still vital in this ever-evolving pandemic. Community building and the health and safety of our children are not mutually exclusive, particularly if we work together.
Read the latest health and safety protocols>>
May 18, 2021
Fall 2021: Full-Time In-Person School at Bertschi
Our Plans for the 2021-22 School Year
Below are some key elements of our initial planning for Fall 2021. We are hopeful that by the fall there will be more “normalcy.” But, as we have learned over the past year, we must all remain flexible. Our initial plans rely on the most current local guidance around health and safety for schools, which we will monitor throughout the coming months.
The first day of school will be Wednesday, September 1, 2021.
- If you have an incoming Pre-k or Kindergarten student, those grades begin the year gradually with open house and/or half days
School Programming 2021-22
Here is what we currently know about the 2021-22 school year:
- School will be offered five days a week in person.
- Students will be assigned to full-sized classes with their teacher, without additional cohorting.
- We will not offer a year-round, full distance learning program. Distance learning will be in effect if a COVID quarantine is indicated. If the Governor’s travel quarantine advisory is still in place, we will offer materials and modified distance learning for those whose travel qualifies only following regularly scheduled school breaks. We will not offer distance learning for families who choose to travel outside regular school breaks.
- Extended day will be offered daily until 6:00 PM for Pre-K to 5th grade following the safety guidelines present at that time. Full-time, part-time, and drop-in options will be available.
- We will be present and prepared to meet our students where they are academically, socially, and emotionally.
Click here for specifics on our health and safety protocols>>
January 21, 2021
Announcing a Head of School Transition & Search
Rafael del Castillo has officially let the Bertschi School community know that this will be his final school year as Head of School at Bertschi. We are grateful to Rafael for his many contributions over the past five years and his impact can be seen and felt throughout the school.
The Board of Trustees has unanimously appointed Teri Barnett as Interim Head of School for the 2021-22 school year. She will provide a deep knowledge of and commitment to Bertschi’s mission, values, and pedagogy and decades of experience and leadership in independent school education. The Board is grateful to her for providing leadership and continuity during the 2021-22 school year.
>>Click here to read personal messages from Rafael, Bernadette, and Teri with more information.
The Board of Trustees will initiate a formal search process for the next permanent Head of School. You can also look for updates on the transition and search process on the Head of School Transition & Search page of our website, which will be updated periodically.
October 07, 2020
Bertschi's School Continuation During the COVID-19 Pandemic
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Bertschi School is taking a data-driven approach to school continuation that preserves our pedagogy, ensures engaged learning experiences, prioritizes the physical and mental health of our community, and is sustainable and responsible.
To learn more about our school continuation planning, click here.